Meet our cat and dog behavior experts and authors– Tom Colvin, Carol Griglione, Paula Sunday and Mick McAuliffe, with the Animal Rescue League of Iowa, Inc. (ARL) and Landauer Publishing, LLC.:
Landauer Publishing, LLC.
Landauer Publishing is an independently-owned book publisher producing high-quality inspirational, creative technique, and how-to publications since 2000. Landauer is pleased to partner with the Animal Rescue League of Iowa (ARL) on their first two titles for pet owners: For Love of Cats and For Love of Dogs. For more about Landauer Corporation, visit LandauerCorp.com or call: 515-287-2144 (Toll free: 800-557-2144).
The Animal Rescue League of Iowa (ARL)
Founded in 1926, The Animal Rescue League of Iowa, Inc. (ARL) is Iowa’s largest nonprofit animal shelter. Last year, the ARL took in over 20,000 animals from 61 Iowa counties and 9 states. Of the 20,000 animals, 9,709 were cats and kittens. On any given day, the shelter has more than 650 animals in its care at its main facility and four satellite locations. Currently, more than 1,700 volunteers donate thousands of hours of service.
Tom Colvin: Animal Welfare Champion and Executive Director of ARL-Iowa
Tom Colvin started his career as a veterinary technician, then directed the Black Hawk Humane Society and now directs the shelter for ARL-Iowa. He offers a wealth of experience and has been a champion for animal protection rights for the past 40 years. Tom:
- started project Whinny at Rockwell City Men’s Prison, providing extra care and rehabilitation for neglected horses.
- served on the Iowa Board of Veterinary Medicine, and has been President of the Iowa Federation of Humane Societies since 1981.
- has tirelessly worked on legislation to strengthen Iowa’s laws for animal protection: including the mandatory animal shelter spay/neuter law (1992), the felony animal abuse law (2000) and the Puppy Mill Bill (2010).
Carol Griglione: Cat Behavior Expert
Carol Griglione has worked on a wide range of animal issues in Iowa during her 20 years of volunteering for the ARL. She became a cat expert over the past 15, learning through independent study, conferences and seminars. Carol coordinates the ARL’s Catsnip Spay/Neuter Program and Summer Cat Getaway Program. Carol also:
- helped make animal torture and dog fighting a felony in Iowa.
- serves as president of the board of directors for ARL and on the board of the Iowa Federation of Humane Societies.
- regularly speaks on cat behavior on local radio stations.
- holds a bachelors degree in communications, and a masters in non-profit management.
Paula Sunday: Dog Behavior Expert
Paula Sunday specializes in offering support to dog owners and teaching them positive training techniques. She offers answers to dog behavior questions, tips on understanding dogs’ needs and communication, and helps humans bond with their pets to keep them in their homes forever.
Paula also teaches volunteers how to train and socialize shelter dogs and puppies before adoption, then evaluates the dogs for compatibility with potential adopters. Paula:
- has a BS in Zoology from Iowa State University (Ames, Iowa).
- worked, until 1980, as a Medical Technician with the Black Hawk Humane Society in Waterloo.
- expanded her knowledge via self-study, other trainers and national seminars
- has worked at the Animal Rescue League of Iowa (ARL) since the early 1990’s.
- is a long-time member of the Board of the Iowa Federation of Humane Societies
- has been a member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers since 1997.
- does pet behavior spots on local TV and radio stations.
Mick McAuliffe: International Animal Training and Behavior Expert
From Queensland, Australia, Mick McAuliffe joined the ARL staff in November 2009 as the Pet Behavior and Enrichment Manager. Mick teaches using only positive reinforcement techniques, eliminating the need for physical or verbal correction or training equipment that can cause pain or injury.
He believes a pet should be a part of the family and needs to be taught rules and guidelines each day with patience and understanding (instead of using strict dictatorships), resulting in a well-mannered pet and a lifelong bond. Mick:
- was the Director of Animal Behavior and Training for the R.S.P.C.A in Australia .
- has done extensive work in canine training, with former experience handling and training lifesaving bomb-detecting dogs in Afghanistan.
- trained a variety of animals, from Sea World Australia’s large marine mammals to native and exotic birds.
- has lectured on animal behavior across five continents (extensive work in Australia, Japan, China, England, Saudi Arabia, and the United States).
Testimonials about the Animal Rescue League of Iowa, Inc. (ARL)
“A national leader”
“The Humane Society of the United States has partnered with the Animal Rescue League of Iowa, Inc. (ARL) for more than a decade on companion animal welfare initiatives. The ARL has proven itself a national leader in the animal sheltering field with innovative programs on pet adoption, shelter enrichment for animals, companion animal legislation, spay/neuter outreach and other initiatives that will better the lives of animals today and in the future. We are pleased to see the ARL publish a book that will help keep cats and dogs in their current homes while providing the enrichment they need to thrive.” Michael Markarian, executive vice-president and chief operating officer of The Humane Society of the United States
“A state of the art facility”
“I was pleasantly surprised to find one of the best animal shelters I have ever encountered in an area considered to be the hinterlands by those of us who frequent the Washington-New York City corridor. The Animal Rescue League in Des Moines, Iowa, goes beyond being a state-of-the-art facility that pays special attention to the behavioral needs of the animal in its care. The cats in particular were happy, healthy, relaxed and had plenty of opportunities for interaction. The staff as well was tuned in to what it takes to help the creatures in their care find life-long loving homes.” Randall Lockwood, Ph.D., CAAB; Senior Vice President/Forensic Sciences and Anti-Cruelty Projects, American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals